If you are using the Windows operating system then sometimes Cortana can be of great help to you but at other times, due to its constant notification alerts on the desktop amidst your workings, meetings, or classes, it can turn out to be quite disruptive for you. These alerts and notifications of Cortana have been found a little too intrusive by most users of Windows and the only way to get past this issue is to stop Cortana from running in the background.
Now, to stop Cortana from running in the background, you have to know the procedure of how to prevent Cortana from running on your desktop background. These steps and procedures might not be very visible and direct like other things in Windows OS, but once you find a way to avoid this and stop Cortana from running in the background then you will realize that the steps have not been that difficult or complex.
Read: 6 Outlook Tips And Tricks That You Should Know
How To Prevent Cortana From Running?
The only issue that we are facing now is how to prevent Cortana from running in the background without deleting or disabling Cortana completely from your windows desktop, then have a look at this procedure that can help you with preventing Cortana from running in the background. Here is the quickest fix on how to prevent Cortana from running in the background:
- Open your desktop
- Go to the start menu.
- In the search bar present above, type settings or just click the round gear icon among the list of other options present in the start menu of windows.
- Tap on the option for ‘privacy’ and it will display different tasks under the sub-heading of app permissions.
- Scroll down this list of options until you find the option for background apps on the left.
- Tap on the option of the background apps and you will see a list of toggle switches for different applications like an alarm clock, calculator, audio, maps, etc. Here, scroll down until you see the toggle switch of the Cortana.
- Turn it off by unchecking the box next to Cortana and this is how you prevent Cortana from running in the background and cause you disturbance.
These were the quick steps to stop Cortana from running in the background.
Related: How To Disable The Quick Access Shortcuts In Google Drive: 5 Ways (techsunk.com)
How To Prevent Cortana From Running In Windows 10 Pro?
If you are using the updated and the latest version of Windows operating system and wish to disable Cortana on your desktop, then follow the steps given below:
- Tap on the start button icon and search for the ‘edit group policy’ option in the search bar and tap on it once you find it.
- Tap on the ‘Computer Configuration’ and then navigate to ‘Administrative Templates’ and then to ‘Windows Components’ and tap on the ‘Search’ option.
- Search for the ‘allow Cortana’ option and tap on it or double click on it to open it.
- Click on the disable option you will see after you open the ‘allow Cortana’ option. Select the disabled option and then hit the OK button.
This way you can prevent Cortana from running in the background and disable it from causing you disturbance in between your work.
How To Prevent Cortana From Running After You Have Disabled It?
So if you are looking at how to prevent Cortana from running after you have successfully disabled it from your windows or even if you have not, but you are looking to stop Cortana from running in the background then go for these simple steps because you should know that Cortana is nothing but ‘SearchUI.exe’ file you will find in the task manager. Nevertheless, without complicating the procedure further, let us get to the steps on how to prevent Cortana from running on your desktop:
- Open your task manager on the windows and you will see the Cortana processing.
- Right-click on Cortana in the task manager and then tap on the ‘details’ option. This will take you to a new window that will show what is running on your desktop right then. Among the list of options, you will see a file with the name ‘SeachUI.exe’.
- Right-click on the file and open the file location and you will then know the location of the file which is a part of Microsoft Cortana.
- Now end the Cortana task from the task manager and rename this file from “Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy” to some other name and you will see that not only Cortana but the windows search tool also gets broken because of the interconnection. To get back the original file, rename the file to “Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy” and you will get back your Cortana and windows search working again.
Also read: Fix Taskbar Not Working Error With 5 Easy Methods